With only a few weeks left in the season, the Italian national team coach is yet to get his final decision on whether he will remain in charge.
A number of clubs have been linked with the vacant position, with Juventus and Inter Milan both being linked with a vacancy.
In the meantime, a new challenge awaits Donnarumsms boss.
On Monday, the head of the national team’s technical committee, Giuseppe Di Carlo, met with Milan president Silvio Berlusconi to discuss the vacancy, which he had been actively seeking for weeks.
“Di Carlo is a good person who has worked with the national teams for years,” Berluscon said, adding that the two had already discussed the situation and the general parameters of the job.
“I hope to have a good relationship with the coach, and the meeting is important for us.”
The meeting, held just over a week after the national coach made a short press conference announcing his decision, took place just a day after the Milan president’s office announced that the club was set to announce its new sporting director, Antonio Stradivari, in the coming days.
Stradivari will be taking over from the late Carlo Tavecchio, who had been in charge of the Giallorossi for nearly two years and had led the club to four consecutive Serie A titles.
But there is no doubt that Donnarumes interest in the position is growing, with the Italian media reporting that the Milan owner has already agreed to pay around €20 million for the job in order to lure the former Fiorentina coach to Milan.
Despite the rumours, Donnaruses side are adamant that they are still hopeful that he will stay at the club.
Speaking to Sky Sport Italia on Monday, Donnars boss admitted that he is still waiting to hear whether the Milan board has any plans to sack him.
“Of course, there’s still a lot of speculation, and I can’t say anything for certain,” Donnar said.
He added that the only way to know if there is a chance of that happening is for the Milan hierarchy to tell him the truth.
It is still unclear whether the team will officially announce their new sporting manager on Tuesday, when a full roster will be released.
The news of the appointment has also prompted speculation that Donnarcas appointment could be the end of the line for the national squad.
However, he is confident that he can continue to lead the squad.
“If there’s a new coach, we’ll make the most of it, because it’s important that we stay in the top half of the table, and it’s also important that the national side stays in the Champions League,” Donnaras said.
“So I’m confident that we can win the ChampionsLeague.”
Donnarummas current squad includes five players who are currently on loan, as well as two players who have made the first team, in Fabio Borini and Paulo Dybala.
If the Milan boss is still looking to bring the team into the ChampionsLeagues, it is unclear how much the Gialls might be willing to sell for the Italian side.
Milan are also keen to make a move for Roma’s Kevin Constant, but the Giels boss is adamant that his club are ready to let him go.
With only four games left in Serie A, the GiALLORossi have not won a single match, with their only points coming against Sassuolo and Lazio.